REU Research Projects
The projects described below are typical research projects. These projects were offered during previous REU programs. We expect to offer a similar array of projects for this summer.
List of sample projects for past years
- "The day the experiments died" by Blake Conley - Clarkson University
- "Single Molecule Imaging on E Coli" by Michelle Dancsecs - Tennessee Technological University
- "Electrical Properties of a Signal Cable" by Jeremy Mock Case - Western Reserve University
- "Movies of Relativistic Jets" by Kevin O’Brien
- "Monte Carlo Simulation for Kobe Meteorite" by Kelly Patton - College of Wooster
- "Cosmology, the Big Bang, WMAP" by Desiree’ Skaggs
- "Photosynthesis: study of the cytochrome b6f complex" by John Schaibley
- "J/psi Suppression" by Danielle H. Speller
- "A Phase Change in Lysozyme Crystals" by Greg Twork - Clemson University
Summer 2012 projects:
- "Near-Infrared Spectroscopy of Nitride Heterostructures"
Emily Finan, University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- Geophysics: Swarm bahavior in fluid flowing through fracture networks"
Tressa Mackin, Valencia College, FL
- "Liquid Krypton Gamma Detector & Neutron Imaging"
Matthew Krupcale, Case Western Reserve University, OH
- "Quantum Hall Effect"
Zily Burstein, Loyola Marymount University, CA
- "Ultrafast X-ray Detector"
Calvin Ebinger, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY
- "Graphene Nanomesh for Kidney Dialysis"
Emily Ehlerdin Manchester College IN
- "Orbital Period Derivative of OAO 1657‐415"
Joe Street, Purdue
- "Antiferromagnetic Transistors"
Kristofer Phleger-Schumacher, Purdue
- "The Hunt For Dark Matter With Liquid Xenon"
Gregory Pach, The University of Kansas
- "The Search for Dark Matter, and Xenon1TP"
Jamin Rager, Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI
- "Investigating the Role of Entanglement in the Avian Compass"
Abe Pauls, Goshen College, IN
Summer 2011 projects:
- "Measuring the Effects of Ion Implantation on the Photoinduced Carrier Lifetime of Semiconductor Materials"
Mario Johnson, Southern University and A&M College, LA
- "Gamma Ray Spectroscopy for Elemental Analysis"
Russell Goff, Purdue University, IN
- "Computational Study of Protein Diffusion in a Membrane"
Schneider Kate, Santa Fe College, FL
- "Study of Capped Metallic Nanoparticles with Infrared Spectroscopy"
Melanie Pierce, University of Portland, OR
- "Investigating the Quantum Mechanism for Magnetorecption in Birds"
Abe Pauls, Goshen College, IN
- "Ultra-cold molecules: Rotational energy states of LiYb"
Matt Orvis, Taylor University, IN
- "Biophysics:Diffusion through Biological Tissue"
Andrew McElroy, John Carroll University, OH
- "Modeling Subaru through the LSST Simulator"
Mary Hodge, Murray State University, KY
- "Metal Gates for p-type GaAs Heterostructures"
Brittany Hoard, Pennsylvania State University, PA
- "Laser optics Interferometry"
Kristen Brockway, Florida Inst. of Technology, FL
- "The Variation of Nuclear Decay Rates by Solar Influence: Part Duex"
Sean Fancher, Purdue University, IN
- "VERITAS simulations"
Kara Ponder, University of Georgia, GA
Summer 2010 projects:
- "Fracture properties from seismic waves"
Nolan Teasdale, Purdue University
- "Using Micromodels to Understand the Flow of Two Fluids"
Caroline Webb, Brown University University
- "Fluorescence of quantum dots on a graphene substrate"
Paul Davis, University of Louisville
- "Bose-Einstein Condensates"
Conrad Hawkins, Purdue University
- "Spin Noise Spectroscopy of Rubidium"
David Blasing, Wheaton College
- "Laser Control for Atom Trapping and Cooling"
Roger Ding, Mary's College of Maryland
- "Picosecond X-ray Detector for Synchrotrons"
Jason Boomsma, Anderson University
- "Quantum Computing"
Laura Sisken, Missouri Univ. of Science and Technology
- "Supernova Remnants as Cosmic Ray Accelerants"
Jamie Overbeek, Michigan State
- "Large Synoptic Survey Telescope optics simulations"
Ahmad, Southeast Missouri State University
- "Catalytic Water Oxidation by Ruthenium Complexes"
Jessica Webb, East Tennessee State University
- "Intersubband Transitions in Semiconductor Heterostructures"
Lisa Nash, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Summer 2009 projects:
- "Chondrites & Chondrules"
Corwin Atwood-Stone, College of Wooster
- "Efficiency of Gamma Ray Detectors"
Amanda Barnett, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Gold/Platinum Nanoparticles"
Courtney Byard, University of Louisville
- "Simulation on the Response of the STAR HFT Pixel Detector"
Alex Cimaroli, Purdue University
- "Higgs Analysis for the CMS"
Lee Coates, Purdue University
- "Higgs Boson Analysis, Part II"
Amelia Uecker, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- "Achieving Super Resolution Using Quantum Dots"
Nicholas Fitzsimmons, Florida State University
- "Manganese Neurotoxicity"
Meghan Kohne, DePauw University
- "Wilson Loops in Large N Field Theories"
Matthew Krafczyk, University of Illinois Urbana
- "Molecular Beam Epitaxy"
Shaun Mills, Grove City College
- "Bs to J/Psi-y"
Nishanth Sasankan, Purdue University
- "Laser Speckle: application for trapping"
Joel Sleppy, Washington University in St. Louis
- "Gamma-Ray Luminosity in Pulsar Wind Nebulae"
Eleanor Terry-Welsh, WPI
- "Atmospheric Characterization of El Penon: The Site of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope"
Mallory Young, Hendrix College